Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 3: Saturday August 27

A lesson in homesickness...

The roller coaster continues. I was both tired and sad, while also being relieved that I would be meeting up my new foreign teacher friends for dinner (possibly Indian food).  Thankfully, my principals thought I should take the day to rest rather than be on the Fun Day with Dad field trip that the school had organized.  I was (and still am) really missing my family & friends, including the cuddly nature of my kitty, Lily, and there is really no way to soothe that lonely feeling when you have a day to be by yourself.

I ended up napping from 4pm to 10pm Korean-time –aka 3am to 9am Canadian-time –and woke up to the sound of Sara & Hilary (who arrived here a month ago) knocking on my motel door for dinner.  Since it was late, we opted for the 24-hour McDonalds and ordered a “Shanghai Chicken set, zero soda” (Spicy Chicken Burger with Coke Zero & fries) for 5,200 won which is roughly $5.20 in Canada.  Hilary & I ended up talking at McDonalds –which played Western music like Beyonce & Bruno Mars, by the way –until 2 am then walked our separate ways which is actually incredibly safe here because it is well-lit & well-policed with the use of CCTV (the security cameras mounted everywhere).  It’s funny how feelings can fluctuate from incredibly lonely to excited for the next adventure when homesickness is looming.

My new shower shoes for less than $3 despite their Adidas-like appearance

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn,

    Daddy and Vida here. Great that the blog is up and Skype is functioning. We might be a few kms. apart but very nearby in cyberspace.

    Life in K-Dub steady as she goes...miss you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your blog ... but ) :

    Thanks for taking us along (virtually) on your adventure.

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice toes Jen! Glad to hear you are adjusting. I am getting play by play from your mom and signed up here for your blog too! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete